Tuesday 28 July 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Characters Who Are Fellow Book Nerds

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish that other bloggers are welcome to join in, to create Top Ten lists on varying topics. This week it’s Ten Characters Who Are Fellow Book Nerds (love reading, are writers, work at a bookstore, etc.)


1. Matilda Wormwood
Matilda - Roald Dahl

I think this was the first book I ever read where I found a character who loved reading as much as I did and a book which portrayed reading in such a positive light. Honestly, this should be required reading in schools. I adore the movie too, mainly because I love anything with Bob Hoskins!


2. Belle
Beauty and the Beast - Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, although I'm going for the Disney verison!

Come on, who doesn't want their own library?


3. Tyrion Lannister
A Song of Ice and Fire - George R R Martin

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge." Preach Tyrion!


4. Hermione Granger
Harry Potter - J K Rowling

Book smarts save the day! Even though I'm Ravenclaw, Hermione Granger is a can't miss on any list of book lovers. While Ron and Harry stumble around blind, it's up to Hermione to bring the knowledge. 


5. Elizabeth Bennet
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Although she provides more memorable quotes on marriage than books, Elizabeth Bennet is still one of the foremost bookworms in literature. 


6. Liesel Meminger<.span>
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Oh Liesel! Let me count the ways I love thee! I can't type too much for fear of blubbing on my keyboard but if you're looking for a book that conveys the power of words and stories, look no further.


7. Mallory Pike
The Babysitters Club - Ann M Martin

Ok, I'm showing my age here, but as a kid I loved The Babysitters Club series. As much as I wanted to be one of the "cool girls" (Stacey or Claudia), I knew I was bookworm Mallory at heart!


8. Tessa Battle
Storykiller - Kelly Thompson

Perhaps not a big bookworm, but Storykiller Tessa lives and dies by books, battling against fiction come to life, rocking a red mohawk and swinging a big axe.


9. Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Sailor Moon

I'm stretching here, but Sailor Moon's Ami was always a favourite of mine. Preferring to spend time alone reading than with her classmates, it's a mystery to me why I identified so much with this character ...


10. Giles
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

And of course, no list of my favourite bookish characters would be complete without Giles! With his encyclopedic knowledge, bumbling Britishness and love of books, I'm pretty sure Giles is the perfect man. Plus, he looks like Anthony Head, bonus!

So, over to you guys! What do you think of my list? Any glaring omissions that I'll kick myself for not thinking of?

14 comments:

  1. Yay Hermione & Belle!!! And Matilda!! Totally forgot Giles too!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. Great list too! I haven't read The Girl At Midnight but have been hearing good things, I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. Fun list! I used one t.v. character (Brick Heck), but the rest were literary. It was surprisingly hard to come up with ten, though! I did include Matilda and Hermione because seriously, they're the biggest fictional bookworms ever.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I think Matilda and Hermione are popping up on every list, and rightly so! Happy TTT to you too!

      Delete
  3. So awesome to see Mallory on you list! I always wanted to be Claudia, but I was so much like Mallory (except the huge family and the red hair) that she was easily one of my favorites. I've not read (or seen the anime) of Sailor Moon, but it was cool to see Ami Mizuno there - definitely a character I've not seen for these lists before.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another BSC fan! I got distracted trying to find a picture on Google by all the old book covers, so many memories...

      Delete
  4. Nice list! We have a few in common, it seems! Tyrion and Herminone are my favorite book nerds from here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leona. Tyrion was a late additional to my list, I almost forgot him (the shame)!

      Delete
  5. Great list! People seem to be huge Hermione fans today . . . Thanks for checking out my post on Spellbound :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Ellie. I think Hermione is on 99% of the lists I've seen, and rightly so, she's iconic!

      Delete
  6. Matilda and Hermione both made it onto my top ten list of bookworms! They're both such great figures from my younger years and I never forget them :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great characters, bookworm icons! I loved your list, but I can't believe I forgot to include Claire from Glass Houses on mine.

      Delete
  7. LOVE matilda, belle, and hermione! great list this week!
    Emily @ http://www.wholly-books.com

    ReplyDelete