Saturday 11 March 2017

Stacking the Shelves #2



Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course e-books! Thanks to Tynga's Reviews, for hosting!

Books bought
How to Be a Woman - Caitlin Moran
An appropriate pick for a book club held on International Woman's Day! I've not read anything by
Caitlin Moran before, but a quick flick through was enough to make me laugh. I don't agree with Caitlin's recent claims that women should avoid all books written by male authors (possibly one of the least equal claims for equality I've ever heard!), but How to Be a Woman has made me snort out loud with laughter several times already and I'm only a couple of pages in.

Wintersong - S Jae-Jones
Because David Bowie is the Goblin King.

The Scarecrow Queen - Melinda Salisbury
The final book in Melinda Salisbury's Sin Eater's Daughter trilogy. I'm not expecting this to be a cheery read, and the ending is probably going to be the literary equivalent of being punched in the face, but I've come too far with this series to give up now!

The Huntress: Sea 
I bought this one as a kind of buddy read with my twelve-year-old niece for when she comes to stay with me. Plus it's gorgeous, so wins all round.

Books borrowed
Lion - Saroo Brierley
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

I inevitably walk away from my book club with more than one book to read! Someone brings along four books for the rest of us to pick next month's read, but there's always more than one book that I like the sound of. How to Be a Woman was the "official" choice this month, but I ended up borrowing these two as well. The fourth pick, in case you're interested, was The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: The Japanese Art by Marie Kondo. Thankfully, no one voted for that one!

Books for review
Confessions of the Very First Zombie Slayer (That I Know Of) - F J R Titchenell
Blood Orchid - Claire Warner
The Black Lotus - Claire Warner

Thanks to YA Bound Book Tours for these!

I also got sent a copy of The Auctor Trilogy by T.R.Wolf 

It's been a good week for books! What's been added to your bookshelves?

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that cover for The Huntress: Sea is amaaaazing! ♥

    My STS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's foiled too so it's extra pretty!

      Delete
  2. Awesome books and I love the cover of The Auctor Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always cool when an author sends a paperback version of their book. PDFs are fine, but I connect so much better with actual books.

      Delete
  3. So many pretty covers. I hope you love them all!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh very nice! Totally new to me ones here! Hope you enjoy them all!

    Here's my STS

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Most of them are totally new to me as well. I've heard about Wintersong and was intending to read it at some point, but it was in a 2 for 1 offer in Waterstones. And I've been waiting for The Scarecrow Queen for like a year!

      Delete
  5. Your haul is so pretty! I love the covers of the Salisbury books - they are amazing. I actually read book one and I didn't love it, so I never continued with the series. :O I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a fabulous week, Mikayla. =)

    Check out my STS post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the trilogy, but I can understand why you wouldn't. It's so well written, but it's such a unrelentingly bleak story at times I see why some people wouldn't make it to the finale.

      Delete
  6. The Scarecrow Queen covers are gorgeous!
    Enjoy all your books :)
    My Book Haul

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Caitlin's book. I heard the audio version which was very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete